My Photo
Name:
Location: San Diego, California, United States

This is to chronicle my adventures on the USS Midway as a Docent. I was a civilian - I did not serve in the military, but I have respect for those that did.

Sunday, May 07, 2006

On Sunday I began in the Bridge, standing watch. I had a new recruit to the Docent program there with me for his on-the-job training. They have to complete 20 hrs of OJT. Turns out this guy was a former Conning Officer in the Navy and knew his way around the Bridge like the back of his hand ! He did fine with the facts of course. I reminded him that the guests aren't buying the ship, they just want to see the areas and have a good time. He'll be fine and a great addition to our Docent team.

Later in the morning they gave me the chat at the "trap", then I was to walk my group forward on the deck to the catapult for the "cat" talk. Another Docent was giving the chat talk at the opposite site at the same time. It was a test of a new routine. I didn't mind it so much, but the other docent didn't like it at all. He said when he was walking his group forward, he lost half the group and picked up a bunch of new people too. The idea of continuity was lost. Oh well.

In the afternoon while I worked the island tours, we got a pack of energized cub scouts. The Docent of the Watch asked me to tour them thru the island. I got them to salute - which was the easy part. We called down to the flight deck "ahoy there" in unison. They really liked that. It was a different focused tour since they didn't want facts - they wanted fun, but I snuck in a few educational facts on 'em anyway. We got hur-rah's in for the Air Boss, Navigating Quatermasters, and the Capt too. They all had a great time.

That was the day - whew. It's a good thing I like this, because it wears me out !

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home