My Photo
Name:
Location: San Diego, California, United States

This is to chronicle my adventures on the USS Midway as a Docent. I was a civilian - I did not serve in the military, but I have respect for those that did.

Friday, April 28, 2006

Wow - what an experience ! Today the boss gave me an extended "lunch" so I could attend a presentation to the docents by Captain Ted Branch, Captain of the USS Nimitz.

It was just super !

Capt Branch talked for about 45 minutes with a power point presentation, then he took questions for the next hour. It was amazing. Here is a young man, one of the Navy's finest, and he was giving us the feel for a day-in-the-life of an Aircraft Carrier Captain. He is certainly one busy man, and he's very much in the know. I'm glad he's on our side !

He also explained and showed how the ship is a small city with all the elements you would expect a city to have. They even have an on-board TV station. He sometimes uses this to address the crew, since it's hard (impossible) to assemble 5,000 + sailors at once.

The Capt took us on a video tour of the ship introducing us to key sailors and a variety of locations on the ship. He even showed us his state room. He pointed out that after 18 months as Captain, he can count on one hand the number of times he has slept in those quarters. He showed us his "at sea cabin", which is located within 10 steps of the Bridge. Very tight, yet efficient, quarters. But it has it's own 'head', and as any sailor in the Navy will tell you - when you get your own head, you are really somebody !

The vets in our group really grilled him on questions how the Navy has changed since they were on ships. I just drank it all in, making notes, and sitting there very impressed.

Thanks boss, for the extra time - and thank goodness for this experience.

Tomorrow - I'll be back in uniform and standing watch on the ship. If you are on-board, come by and say "ahoy". ( I think that's sailor talk for 'howdy' )

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home