My Photo
Name:
Location: San Diego, California, United States

This is to chronicle my adventures on the USS Midway as a Docent. I was a civilian - I did not serve in the military, but I have respect for those that did.

Sunday, April 23, 2006

What a day on the ship !

It started with a "CE" (Continuing Education) meeting in the new training room. The Galley Supervisor gave us the low-down on all the Galley processes and wild stories. It was really interesting. Then, we had a panel of pilots sit thru "Aviation for Dummys" for us. I'm still a dummy, not as much as I was before.

Then I worked the ship giving tours thru the Island. I took groups from Pri Fly, to the Chart House, and then to the Bridge. I have several very interesting groups. A bus load of high school students arrived. Turns out they were from Wisconsin. They were enthusiastic and very inquisitive. They really seemed to enjoy the tours. Then, as they were leaving, we saw them gather on the pier and they began to sing. They were a chorus - they sang God Bless America. Wow - we watched it and were very impressed. Thanks Wisconsin !

Then later, I noticed my tour groups had a several older follows with "USS Oklahoma" caps and jackets. I asked them about it and it turns out they are in town for their annual reunion. These are Pearl Harbor Survivors of the USS Oklahoma. After the tour, a couple of them came back to thank me for the tour and said how much they enjoyed it. Thank me ? ! ! ! Are you kidding ? I told them "THANK YOU!" and that we were honored to have them as guests on board.

Well, what a day. Tomorrow I'm working at the Midway booth at the Air Show. That should be interesting too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home