My Photo
Name:
Location: San Diego, California, United States

This is to chronicle my adventures on the USS Midway as a Docent. I was a civilian - I did not serve in the military, but I have respect for those that did.

Monday, March 20, 2006

March is more than half over - but at least I'm up to the current month in reporting.

I worked the ship both days this past weekend. The morning DOW (Docent of the Watch) likes to have us conduct tours of the Island (Primary Flight Control, Chart House and the Bridge). We take one group to each station and give the presentation. The afternoon DOW likes to station us at one watch and have the guests move to each location on their own.

Either way is ok with me, but I think the guests like to see and hear from more than one docent. Although our information is the same, the presentations are as different as the individuals presenting them.

I always seem to meet a few Navy vets on the ship, that's not unusual. I always ask before I start my presentation if there are any vets or active-service personnel on board. This weekend I really got a surprise when one gentlemen said that yes he had not only been an officer in the Navy, he was an O6. He had been the Captian of a ship ! After my presentation he made a point to thank me and let me know how much he appreciated it. That was pretty special.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is the Midway haunted?

3:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That sounds exciting!! I hope I can visit one day!

3:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home