My Photo
Name:
Location: San Diego, California, United States

This is to chronicle my adventures on the USS Midway as a Docent. I was a civilian - I did not serve in the military, but I have respect for those that did.

Sunday, September 14, 2008

Great day on the ship

I met a nice lady on board (in her 80's?). She wanted to see the radio room where her Dad had worked on the original Yorktown. CV5 was launched in 1937, and sank at the Battle of Midway in June 1942.

I showed her the radio room and she was thrilled. Her daughters (somewhat older than me) told me she was so happy. We went to the morse code machine, and I showed her how to send "John" (her Dad) a message. It brought tears to her eyes.



Meet Frank Nolkemper - he was in the Marine 5th Division. He enlisted in 1941. He had a few awesome war stories. He was involved in the Iwo Jima battle. I'm certain it's guys like him who actually won the war.


I also met the entertainment for the night - the Andrews Sisters Tribute Act. Here they are before costume change.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home