My Photo
Name:
Location: San Diego, California, United States

This is to chronicle my adventures on the USS Midway as a Docent. I was a civilian - I did not serve in the military, but I have respect for those that did.

Saturday, June 16, 2007

I was the DOW (Docent of the Watch) this morning. I got there early - and I brought bagels for the crew. I had a full watch bill - plenty of guys signed in. But, I had 3 no-shows. No prob - just had to re-schedule a few assignments. I also got a couple of walk-on's too, so that helped. In the end, every watch station was manned.

After I got everyone briefed and assigned to their watch stations, I walked the entire tour route, making certain that every sign and exhibit was ready.

It was pretty routine. I found a passageway on the mess desk, forward of the Command Master Chief's quarters with a light out. I thought: I hope that's the only crisis of the day. I had to re-assign a docent up to the Island / Bridge tour because they got swamped early - no problem. It's good to be flexible, right ?

I saw an elderly vet fall on the flight deck - I rushed to him and asked if he needed first-aid. He was more concerned about his broken cell phone. I didn't know old folks even knew what cell phones were. Anyway - he just wanted to get to the rest room, clean off, and go home. I notified Safety/Security, and they checked him as the left the ship. No harm / no foul. Still - I hope the old fellow is alright.

I was off duty at 1:30pm. At 1:31pm a call came from Security that a guest had fallen down on of the ladder wells on the 3rd deck and broke his leg! I told the new DOW: "thank goodness for 60 seconds - this is on your watch!" Turns out - it was an ankle injury of some kind, and the guest was OK.

I gave tours for the balance of the day and had a good time - as always.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home