My Photo
Name:
Location: San Diego, California, United States

This is to chronicle my adventures on the USS Midway as a Docent. I was a civilian - I did not serve in the military, but I have respect for those that did.

Saturday, December 30, 2006

Great day on the ship. We had a very good turnout - lots of guests from out-of-town on vacation.

In the morning I worked the island, coordinating the tours. They asked me to mentor a new member of the docent crew. He's a great guy - Ed. Turns out he was a member of the crew back in 1950 ! The ship has really changed since he was here last - I told him 'it's about time you came back' !

He told a funny story - he looked up an old crew member from 1950 and called him. The guy lives in Lynn, Mass. They spoke on the phone after not seeing each other for 56 yrs. They agreed to exchange old pictures from their days on the ship. Then - they each sent one another the SAME picture ! Too funny !

In the afternoon - they moved me down to give the Catapult Chat. I really attracted a crowd. After one of my energetic chats - a fellow came up and mumbled something about his grandfather had served on this ship back in the day, and he was so thankful that we had restored it and made it seem alive. You just never know who you are touring on this ship - comments like that are very nice.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home